Thursday, July 20, 2006

Another pointless war!




Leaving Korivnica, I headed south, feeling the effects of the graduation party. 120 kms later, the light was fading, nowhere suitable for camping anywhere...I summoned the courage and asked two men standing by the road if I could camp on their lawn. This being done in sign language and a little bit of very broken German, no problem! One shot of home made spirits later his two sons arrived and invited me for a beer on the back lawn, describing the horror of the war and having their house blown up by their Serbian next door neighbor. 10 years on, bullet holes remained in the original part of the house with the rebuilt parts still unplastered. The following morning I headed south, seeing hundreds of rebuilt houses along the way, all destroyed during the war. I crossed the river into Bosnia where the language changed and I soon took a wrong turn because I could not read the signs! 31 km out of the way and a broken spoke later I realised where I was and proceeded to hitch hike with a delivery van (who's driver could not speak a word of English or German!) back to where I should have turned. Unable to remove the casset front he back wheel, for lack of the correct tools, I was forced to make a new spoke from two tied together... Still going strong!Riding up a beautiful river valley I always had an uneasy feeling with mine fields on both sides of the road. I stuck to the asphalt!The narrow gorge opened out into a wide valley and I headed for the Croatian border. Still flanked by mine fields, my endurance was tested by a 12 km, 500 vertical meter climb to finish a 200 km day.

1 Comments:

At 4:06 pm, Blogger Nodak said...

Hej Ben
Good to hear you are enjoying and experiencing such things I really like to do!!
If you need any help drop me a line, OK? Esp. bicyle repair and so on!!(I think you know better than I do...;)
Koichi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home