Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Ben, didn't you say you where going on a bike trip?


I am often told that luck is on my side, this is a notion I often question. Am I really luckier than the next guy? I wonder....
When it comes to traveling, call it what you will, at the end of the day, luck or no luck, it all works out.

During a frantic morning packing session, less than 12 hours prior to departure I discover that the back wheel bearing on my bike is about as functional as a square wheel. What to do?

Arriving at Malmo airport I quickly strike up a conversation with Kristina and Freda. They are also on their way to Budapest. Little do I know that 5 hours, one mad taxi ride and much key turning and door pushing later, my bike will be happily in its' box in the entrance of Freda's sisters apartment in central Budapest while the owner snores loudy on the sofa in the next room.

I wake up with an uneasy thought about the wheel issue...several days wait for parts, new wheel, what more? one always fears the worst! However, after a quick search with some local help, turns out that the very bike shop required was less than 50 m from the guy snoring on the couch all along!
Dragging my newly re-assemble transporter inside the shop I politly ask: "Do you speak english?" (unfortunatly my hungarien is not so advanced yet...). I get the response: "How can I help" followed by "Is that the only problem? Come back at 5 ..."

That leaves me sitting on a high hill above the city watching the sun cast its' last rays over Budapest (as seen in the photo), one bicycle with two round wheels behind me and only me, the bike and the road in front of me.
I wonder...am I lucky?

1 Comments:

At 3:12 am, Blogger Rhianna said...

Nice One!!!

I guess luck has less to do with it than being able to find the best in other people. I think that may be the skill that carries you through the world...

Happy trails Ben!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home