Sunday, July 16, 2006

Water Snakes, Border crossings and a Graduation Party

It is strange feeling so at home in a very foreign country.

Leaving Budapest I negotiated the maze of streets to a point where the well established cycle roads disappeared and English became as useful as Swedish. My 1:550 000 map was as good as a compass at the south pole and I had no idea where I was going...Many wrong turns later I was barreling down a main road with loads of traffic, fortunately in the write direction!

Arriving 120 km later at the Balaton lake my wallet my promptly emptied by an over priced but very beautiful campground...Sometimes you are too tired to complain!

I was hastily supplied with a cold beer and invited to a BBQ with a couple staying there, things where looking up! Following a very dubious swim amongst the sea snakes I sat down to a much needed meal.

After being ripped off buying a melon but otherwise uneventful day and 100 km cycling along the coast of the lake I reached my next camp, again proceeding to the water to cool off while hoping that in the shallow water there weren't too many snakes!

Heading south with a much appreciated tail wind I arrived at the border to Croatia, somewhat relieved to find that the border patrol spoke English, a good start to say the least!

With only small amount of Hungarian money and no idea where to stay (I didn't even have a map at this stage...) I headed for the biggest town in the area. After 120 km I arrived in town and began searching for a shop to buy a map and an ATM.

This is where it all started!

I am rolling slowly through the street when approached by a young man with a video camera who looks at me and asks me a few questions. I quickly explain my situation...Another women has now joined who says ˝I know a place you can stay, but it is card to explain how to get there, I'll put you up...˝

One phone call later, I am collected by a Dutch girl staying at her house already. Soon after I am taken to their beautiful camp in a small village out of town where I presented for family, friends, daughters etc.

This place is amazing! She is an analogies teacher and runs camps for young people from all over the world, her husband is surgeon, builder and collector of very very old tools. I am treated to a swim in the pool as well as a night out in town with a cousin and the daughter...I stayed two nights here, last night attending the graduation party of her daughter which involved lots of drinking, singing and fun!

Now I am at there computer about to pack my things and leave...Strange how at home I feel here...

1 Comments:

At 1:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So here we are, Ben, so nicely described...strange, how that moment stayed so fresh in my mind too.As well as if it was only yesterday. And yes, you left from here yesterday for the second time.Lana said you were already at the border. It was a joy and a priviledge having you bring us yet another breath of fresh air from your travels.Have a safe journey!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home